Saturday, February 19, 2005

Of irritants and annoyances.

Listening to:Little girl blue
Nina Simone
Yesterday was a complete and utter waste of my time.

I swear. Regression, when you're aging must be spectacular when you're 54. Because it's frikkin cracking me up when i'm 26, even though it's just been 5 days.

Pointless activities i indulged in the office yesterday in no order whatsoever.
-Bak kwa'ed and tart'ed.
-Played trashball badminton with clipboards
-Attended meeting
-Indulged in literary gibberish on sametime connect, which is a platform for im'ing.
-Testimony'ed on friendster.
-Planned my fri nite and weekend
-Put the work i need to get done into my bag as i left. Psychological comfort even though i might not touch it at all during the next 48 hours.
My regular cabbie cldn't make it, so i had to walk out to the main cab stand at the nearby hospital. Before i left, it started raining, so the stands were inundated with a desperate hoard. As i settled down into the line, this woman came up to me to ask where the line started. I pointed her in the right direction, and her eyes opened wide.
"Where??There?"
I nod once again.
"Are you sure??" her arms go akimbo and she clucks in exasperation.
I want to roll my eyes. No, fucking Timbuctoo, i want to tell her, that's how long the queue really is, you fuckwad. I don't trust myself to answer and look away.
By now i realise that this lady is from Honk Kong. Am i surprised? No.
I bump into her again as i wait for my on call-cab. She's still there, and she moans about how she wants to get to the zoo on time. I offer to give her a number of dial a cab service, but she shakes her head. She's tried, but she didn't manage to get a cab.
I tell her i'd give her a lift, but the zoo doesn't loom large on my itinerary.
"This soo bad, you knoww" she drawwls in that accent we've all come to know and love from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
"Such baad image of Sin gar pore! How can you allow it? Hong Kong would never allow this to happen!"
At that point my cab reaches, and riled though i am, i get in.
I am on no account patriotic. I feel no common love for my people when i travel and bump into them. It's a safe place to live, organised and it's accomplished for it's size. No more, no less. I've never felt particularly at home here. I don't even particularly like the people. The last time i spoke about National Day, which is Singapore's version of independence day, some nice soul looked at me, tilted her head, and said," You're Eurasian.. Why do you have to celebrate national day?"
Strange then that i felt an overwhelming urge to start postulatin' bout the lesser evils of my little island :)
On another note, i just received a wierd call from a friend, which in itself is normal cos he's my friend. He was complaining about a loo in Paragon where he was taking a poop,doin his own thing, when a psychic flush occured.
Definition of psychic flush: An automated flush set off. What it gets set off by is a great mystery.
He was traumatised, because the p.flush in this case was particularly strong, and he was having a runny. Look- just a tip. If you're thinking of settling down for some time on the pot, just moisten a piece of paper, tissue or whatever to obscure the sensor. And obviously you don't moisten it with anything from the pot or whatever you're ubnleashing into it lah. Unless you enjoy a certain splishie splashed feeling.. in that case i tell you to stay far, far away from moi.